Fair Shake Founder and Director
Sue Kastensen founded Fair Shake in 2009 and is currently the executive director. She created Sun Dog Hemp Body Care in 1993, which is now owned by Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps. She graduated from Walden III, an alternative High School in Racine, WI, and 26 years later received her bachelor’s degree in Individualized Learning from Viterbo University in La Crosse, WI. She is a member of the Planning Commission for the City of Westby. She envisioned Fair World Project in 2008. Sue is the former board chair for MOSA, an organic certification agency; former board chair for the Domestic Fair Trade Association and former board chair for the Viroqua Food Coop in Viroqua, Wisconsin. She is currently enrolled in the Masters of Education program at Rutgers University.
Vision / Mission
Fair Shake is dedicated to supporting the successful reintegration of formerly incarcerated people into society.
Fair Shake is dedicated to reducing the recidivism rate through personal and community focused ownership and engagement opportunities for currently and formerly incarcerated individuals in connection with families, employers, property managers, corrections and communities..
The primary values Fair Shake holds are:
- Belief in redemption.
- Belief in success after incarceration.
- Belief that we can build a strong, safe society.
- Belief that we are all important and connected.
- Belief that pro-social behavior is best taught through civic morality.
Benefits of Fair Shake
- 24 hour access to tools found in the website
- Email account and web page hosting for formerly incarcerated individuals
- Local and relevant resource information Resource Directory
- Ability to quickly create a Reentry Packet
- Self-empowering non-athoritative approach
- Diverse and verified learning opportunity
Board of Directors
- Sue Kastensen – President
- Bentley Lein Vice – President
- Kreigh Rasikas – Secretary
- Keisha Russell – Treasurer
Fair Shake founding principals
- We are free when we own everything we are about.
- Good and bad exist in each of us.
- Each of us is in charge of our own success and satisfaction in life.
- We need meaning in our lives: whether spiritual, important people, purpose for life, etc.
- We cannot outsource caring.
Fair Shake Goals
To create a(n)
- Basic Tool Kit, available to all
- Interactive website
- Website-simulation program
- Database of useful, current and relevant re-entry resources
- Study Guides to encourage critical thinking, employee considerations, relationship and language skills, accountability and transition preparation
- Verified recognition for areas studied.
- Seminars and workshops, in prisons and communities, to encourage dialogue in reentry considerations.