Fair Shake Founder and Director
Sue Kastensen founded Fair Shake in 2009 and is currently the executive director. She created Sun Dog Hemp Body Care in 1993, which is now owned by Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps. She graduated from Walden III, an alternative High School in Racine, WI, and 26 years later received her bachelor’s degree in Individualized Learning from Viterbo University in La Crosse, WI. She is a member of the Planning Commission and the Variance Committee for the City of Westby. She envisioned Fair World Project in 2008. Sue is the former board chair for MOSA, an organic certification agency; former board chair for the Domestic Fair Trade Association and former board chair for the Viroqua Food Coop in Viroqua, Wisconsin. In 2019, Sue received her Masters of Education from Rutgers University.
Vision / Mission
Fair Shake is dedicated to supporting the successful reintegration of formerly incarcerated people into society.
Fair Shake is dedicated to increasing reentry success through personal and community focused ownership and engagement opportunities for currently and formerly incarcerated individuals in connection with families, employers, property managers, corrections and communities.
The primary belief Fair Shake holds are:
- Belief in redemption.
- Belief in success after incarceration.
- Belief that we can build a strong, safe society.
- Belief that we are all important, valuable and connected.
Fair Shake is based on the UBUNTU operating system. (The UBUNTU philosophy, that is.)
Benefits of Fair Shake
- 24 hour access to tools found in the website
- Free Personal Web Page and Data Storage hosting for formerly incarcerated individuals
- A large and constantly growing Resource Directory
- A free, print-from-the-website Reentry Ownership Manual
- Multi-stakeholder approach! We all have a role to play to support reentry success
- Self-empowering, ubuntu-building, non-authoritative approach
- Emotional learning opportunities, and – coming soon – the Fair Shake FREE SCHOOL
- In-prison conversation-presentations, with an emphasis on idea sharing
Board of Directors
- Sue Kastensen – President
- Bentley Lein Vice – President
- Kreigh Rasikas – Secretary
- Keisha Russell – Treasurer
Fair Shake founding principals
- We are free when we own everything we are about.
- Each of us is in charge of our own success and satisfaction in life.
- Each of us has the right to know ourselves and to learn about living in society and a democracy.
- We have the right to understand how to build and search for the meaning in our lives.
- We cannot outsource caring.
Fair Shake Goals
To create a(n)
- Basic Tool Kit, available to all
- Interactive website
- FREE software for prisons and jails: a website-simulation program
- Database of useful, current and relevant re-entry resources
- Study Guides to encourage critical thinking, employee considerations, relationship and language skills, accountability and transition preparation